Friday, September 14, 2007

driving..

.
Yesterday, i went for my compensation driving lesson from the school (driving centre).

Earlier this week, i had requested not to have 2 instructors to coach me for future lessons. The reason i cited was that the 100mins (1 lesson = 100mins) were not fully utilised bcuz they released me from my lesson early. No need to be exactly 100mins but at least dun eat up 20mins of my lesson mah! The other reason i stated was that by the end of the lesson, i felt that i did not fully learn what they they were supposed to teach me for that particular lesson and they could still stamped in my booklet.

For instance: I was supposed to learn 'kerbside stopping & moving off'. Yet i only did it twice during a lesson which only lasted 80mins. I believe another 10-15mins of the action 'kerbside stopping & moving off' will not hurt, right?

Mind you. I am taking school lessons, so it's kinda more expensive than private lessons.
Per my calculations:
- dun go circuit: school student pays more by at least S$30.
- go circuit: school student still pays more by at least S$10!
Plus it's not like i drive around the circuit for all my lessons.

But of course, school students have priority in test dates. The main reason why i chose to learn driving via school. Much sooner by at least 3 months, which compensates the expensive fees we are being charged for, compared to private students.

Oh, in case you are wondering why was i not happy cuz they gave me more stamps in the booklet. Maybe i am weird, ok.
For i do NOT like sub-standard learning. I rather go through the torturous lessons over and over again till i do it WELL. I mean, what for? They let me pass through the stages sooner but ultimately, i am a lousy driver and what if i keep failing? *TOUCHWOOD!*

Well, those are the reasons on why i had an compensation lesson of 60mins yesterday (30mins for each unfortunate lesson).

Mr Lim , the shift in-charge coached me for the lesson. Quite big shit, if ya ask me. From an instructor to becoming in-charge of the office. Anyway, he was GREAT! Not only did he taught well but he also went beyond his duty by letting the lesson overrun by 40mins just to make sure that i understood and really learnt.

I've yet to finish commending him.

Previously, out of my own folly, i did not book any lessons for 3 weeks leading to no driving lessons for 6 weeks till my next practical lesson. Thus i had then decided to engage a private instructor to coach me during those 6 weeks, so i won't forget what i've learnt before or be so rusty on my next school lesson. Plus the fact that my practical test is like 2.5 months later.
10 weeks to Test MINUS 6 weeks no lessons EQUALS 4 weeks left!
Like tat where got enough time to finish all the lessons in the booklet WELL!!!

Mr Lim, once again, went beyond his call of duty, and helped me booked 6 lessons for these 6 weeks. His only requirement: I am not to engage a private instructor to coach me during these 6 weeks. I dun mind. He did me a favour. And i shall abide his requirement. =D Cheerios!

Anyway, for a school student to go for private remedial classes by a private instructor is S$6/hour MORE expensive than what their own private students are paying. Caoz! Plus adding the possibility whereby you are not their private student so they are also not obliged to coach you well or the proper techniques or correct your bad habits or even pinpoint your mistakes.

Yes, school instructors can also do the above. But they've have got a certain standard to attain and they run the fear of being giving a warning letter or even sacked. This industry is already so competitive. Do you know that the Govt no longer issues private instructor licenses? And that those part-timers instructors in the school can only teach in school and not register themselves as private instructors after they resign from the school cuz their instructor license will automatically revoked.

I did not even know forehand that my avoidance request would lead to a compensation lesson for me. And for the instructor, after investigation and if indeed my reasons are valid and no doubt true, the instructor will either receive a warning letter or dismissal, if it's his dunno-how-many-warning-letters-already.

I am not encouraging complaining for no rhyme or reason. I just wanted to learn well. And i did not throw my tantrum. I nicely asked if it was possible to request that 2 particular instructors not to coach me for my lessons in the future. Just like what some others do: nicely request for a particular instructor to coach them, at an additional charge of S$10.

But now, i have Mr Lim's name in my booklet. So... that means that ALL my future instructors cant play play anymore. Cool eh!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment